The Mountain State Wheelers Bicycle Club is a nonprofit corporation devoted to increasing the benefits of bicycling in the Greater Kanawha Valley. The club is affiliated with the League of American Bicyclists, America's National Bicycle Organization (since 1880), and the International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA).
We are a group of cyclists of all abilities and all persuasions-single and married - who believe cycling to be one of the most pleasurable and healthy activities of our lives. We welcome everyone who enjoys cycling. Before joining, you may ride with the club twice as a guest. Participation in rides is limited to adults or minors accompanied by their parent or guardian.
Ours is not a racing club. Our riders are a cross section of the tourist and recreational rider, but some of our rides would be suitable for the strongest cyclist. The club currently consists mostly of road riders, but we have a few mountain bikers and would like to have more participation in that area.
What are some benefits of club membership
- Camaraderie - meet fellow cyclist in the area. Make new riding partners; participate in other club biking and non biking activities throughout the year. Learn about organized rides like the Horsey Hundred in Georgetown, Ky.
- Insurance*- Paid members of the Wheelers have accident insurance while on official group rides (secondary to any insurance already payable).
- New Rides - Learn local cycling routes while riding with a gourp. Learn, when, and how to ride safely. Hear about organized rides in other parts of the state and the nation from people who participated in them.
- Weekly Chain-Link emails* - A weekly email is sent to club members that keeps members current on activities.
- Facebook Group - Members can participate in the clubs Facebook group page. Share pictures, activities and comments via Facebook.
- Advocate on behalf of cycling in the area.
* Restricted to paid members.
Most of our rides are on secondary roads in Kanawha and surrounding counties. Rides of various difficulties are scheduled each month so members have the opportunity to participate monthly. We also have club rides in other parts of the West Virginia and Ohio like Larry Weese's Ravenswood ride, Dan Neal's Tour of WV, and the annual Fall camping weekend at Watoga State Park. The club also participates in other organized rides such as the Ride for Life ride in Gallipolis, Ohio.
Our rides are listed according to their difficulty from "A" being for experienced riders to "C" for all riders. Rides are graded for difficulty and are listed under the "ride info" tab on this site.
Our primary activity is riding for the fitness and camaraderie, but we also have other cycling and non-cycling related activities. During the winter months, club members will lead hikes in Kanawha State Forest and the New River Gorge.
Current fees (2016) are $20.00 for an individual and $25.00 for a family membership.
A printable form for mailing in with a check is available here (Note: the form is good until otherwise specified) : 2016-mountain-state-wheelers-membership-application